On the Plots:
I managed to repair the supports of the large brassica cage, which had come adrift in the wind, and took the fine mesh covers off two of the
other beds. They were pretty muddy, so I brought them home to wassh before they get put away. One bed has only two small red cabbage plants left after the vole onslaught, and the other has some very small savoys, so I have netted these so the pigeons do not
demolish them. If it is not one thing, it is another!
The BIg Clear Up is much later this year, and much slower, due to both the very wet weather as well as me trying to get the bedroom renovations finished. I take the view that I am not going now to
be planting anything else in the ground this year, so I can afford to take my time with clearing and covering these beds, with no harm done.
The frosts saw the end of the Dahlias, and I am not looking forward to the great dig-up of the tubers,
as it is always such a heavy and muddy job, but I can do them a few at a time when I need to escape from the paint brushes. The ground is not about to freeze solid yet!
One task that couldn't really wait though was bringing the succulents in under cover,
and I transported them home in one of the two "miniature greenhouses" I was given for Christmas about three years ago. These are beginning to look a bit the worse for wear now, and need a bit of a spruce up and some small repairs: these are also now on my
list. The plan is to have these indoors once they are nice and clean again, as a decorative way of displaying house plants. The paintbrushes and paint are out already of course, I have glue and I have glass cleaner, so it shouldn't be too demanding a task.
I just have to find the time. One has a very wet base, so I shall wait until it is properly dried out before I start work on them. Not sure how long that will take..
I managed to plant out all the bare root shrubs this week, after clearing one of the
triangle beds, and some dwarf daffodils, and Winter flowering irises went in too, together with some wallflower plants. IT started raining before I could clear th eother bed, so I hacked back some of the Verben bonariensis to make enough space to work, and
just quickly dug holes for three more shurbs, and the remining three went in the ground outside on the verge at the front of #146. Although htye are all labelled, I am sure I shall forget what is planted where by the time they begin to grow. Surprises to come